Monday, June 20, 2011

Potty Training

I hesitate to even use the phrase "potty training" because I really feel like Rylan just stopped wearing diapers and started wearing underwear!  But, I wanted to document the process, so here's a timeline of our "potty training" experience!

  • For a few months, we just talked about peepee, poopoo, big boy undies, and the potty.  We also had the Elmo Potty Book and Rylan would sometimes sit on the potty.
  • On Wednesday, June 1, he sat on the potty and went peepee.  And then repeated the performance 2 more times that day.  There was lots of praise and potty dancing going on!
  • That Thursday and Friday, Rylan continued to wear diapers because we were going to let Daddy surprise him with big boy undies when he returned from out of town.  So, Rylan peed successfully a few times and also peed in his diaper some.
  • Friday evening, Nick came home with big boy undies and candy (smarties and gummy bears)!  Rylan wore the undies the rest of the evening with no accidents.  Anytime he successfully used the potty, he would get candy and we would sing a potty song and dance!
  • Saturday was the first full day of undies.  He had his first accident around 10.  I was gone, but Nick said that Rylan cried and was so upset.  A little while later, he started to pee in his undies and then finished on the potty.  A little bit after that, he pooped in his undies.  I'm sure you are wondering why it is necessary to detail every accident.  Well, that's simple!  Because THOSE ARE THE ONLY THREE ACCIDENTS HE HAD!!  Three accidents the first morning of underwear and he has been accident free since thus proving my statement that Rylan didn't really potty train...he just started using the potty!
  • For the next several days, we continued taking Rylan to the potty frequently.  We also put PullUps on him when we were not at home.  I didn't want him to have any accidents if we weren't able to get him to the potty soon enough!
  • So, here we are 2 and a half weeks later and Rylan is officially in undies all the time (except naptime and bedtime...even though he usually wakes up dry).  He tells us when he needs to go peepee or poopoo.  At first, we would set him on the potty often and he would go a little bit.  Now, he holds it forever and just goes when he tells us he needs to!  We still ask him regularly, but if we try to set him on the potty just to be sure, he usually says no and wants down. 
  • He did poopoo in his pants at Nana and Poppas this weekend.  I think he just isn't comfortable telling anyone except Mommy or Daddy that he needs to go.  So, I'm interested to see how he does at the end of the week when I am gone.
  • The only thing I dislike about Rylan being potty trained is PUBLIC RESTROOMS!  It's such a hassle to get all of us hauled into the bathroom, get Rylan declothed and deshoed, let Ransom crawl around on the floor (ewww), wash everyone's hands, etc.  Oh well...small price to pay for such a successful, easy transition!



No comments:

Post a Comment